Monday, December 27, 2010

Pain as a Metaphor

Sitting around with my family on Christmas Eve, while opening presents and snapping pictures, an unwelcome visitor arrived; Pain. He arrived out of nowhere, stiffening my spine. It felt like someone ripped out my spine and replaced it with a metal rod. I kept a smile on for the camera but inside I wanted to cry.

On Christmas morning I thought Pain had left, slipped out in the night like a one night stand. But when I was preparing to take my first bite of roast at dinner, a pain shot across one side of my forehead, down behind my eye. I winced. Everyone stopped and looked at me. “What’s the matter?” I described the pain to them. I had become a master of metaphors, always trying to find the exact words to describe what I was feeling to others. I picked up my knife and pointed to the spot the pain was coming from. “It’s like tiny little knives poking into my forehead and behind my eyes.” “Then why don’t you take the knives behind your eyes out and cut your meat with it?” my brother asked. Everyone laughed. I ate quietly and in a few minutes the pain went away.

Two days later I went back to the chiropractor I had been seeing, “Dr. Ralph”. I always felt better after a visit to Dr. Ralph. I enjoyed seeing him because he always told me stories and made me laugh during my visit but I also secretly fear that I was always need to go to him. If I ever miss an appointment, I feel horrible.

The more I read about chronic pain conditions, I am beginning to wonder.. should I be happy that I am much better than I was and in keeping up practices such as the chiropractic visits I can manage the pain? Should I be focusing on MANAGING instead of trying to CURE the pain? I guess only time will tell.

4 comments:

  1. It's really beautiful blog.I just scroll and see your post.It's very inforamtive.Thanks for sharing your beautiful ideas!!!!superb...
    rotator cuff surgeryrecovery

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our clinic promotes the stabilization of spinal function and improved quality of life for individuals suffering from acute and chronic pain. Murrieta Pain Relief Center offers various and multiple pain relieving therapies including chiropractic care, lumbar spinal decompression, and neuropathy therapies.

    Click here to know more information temecula back pain

    ReplyDelete