Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to Exercising!

I've been managing my neck pain well with weekly visits to the chiropracter for a while now and finally decided it's time to get back to exercising-lifting , squatting , lunging , running and crunching myself back into shape.

Upon joining Healthtraxx at work I recieved a free fitness assessment by a trainer on the staff, Kim. My body fat came back normal, my cardiovascular above average , and good on core strength/flexibility. My upper body strength, however, was poor. I could barely do a push up without my arms quivering. Kim watched me step across a hurdle several times while she made notes. I later found out that she noticed a low back arch that can be indicitiave of low back/hip flexor or IT band tightness. I sat down on a mat while holding a bar across my shoulder blades. I had to twist to each ide and try to hit a dowel with the bar. Kim seemed concerned and asked me to do it again. Turns out when rotating to the left there was a 6 inch distane to the dowel. When rotating to the right there was only a one inch distance. Standing against a wall I lifted my arms out to the side . Then I lifted them above my head , while trying to keep my arms on the wall. I looked from side to side. Kim noticed tightness in my right side trap and limited range of motion in the right side of my neck.

I set up an appointment to meet with her for a series of personal training sessions.I am ready to get back to exercising and want to do it right. Stayed tuned for updates about my training sessions.

Click here to see Why to Use a Foam Roller


Click here to see a video of the IT Band Foam Rolling Technique

No comments:

Post a Comment