Friday, September 2, 2011

Training Session One

Kim warmed me up with some dynamic stretches, one called an “iron cross” and a “prone cobra”. Next came the exercise circuits! First, squats with weights, pushups ( ugh!) , planks and lateral lunges.

The second circuit was walking lunges ( now my legs were really burning) , push up negatives, side iso ab bends and a band reverse fly. Push up negatives are a neat concept; Kim explained that both the concentric contraction (pushing up off floor in modified knee position) and the eccentric contraction (lowering whole body in full plank position, as described here. will help me get stronger and be able to do more pushups. The reverse fly focuses on the rear deltoids and let me tell you- they are sore today!


Next she mixed in some cardio with the row machine, a great whole-body workout, leg/hip lifts for working the abs ( instead of risking pulling on the neck with crunches), some step ups to ignite the fire in my legs a little more, and a seated row. Finally it was time to unwind on the mats with some stretching. I know this session was a success because I am having a little trouble walking up the stairs today!


Note: These exercises can be looked up on YouTube if you are interested in learning how to do them- but if you are injured in any way please speak to your doctor before trying them.

No comments:

Post a Comment